2K views

My wife and I were contacted by TSI in regards to our son's delinquent account with his former university. They informed us that they needed a full payment of over $2000 immediately or legal action would be taken against him.

According to the FDCPA, threatening legal action is a major violation and cause, in turn, for action to be taken against the collector.

We then called the university and set up a payment plan with them, and they have considered the matter resolved, with a contact for payment in the mail and monthly payments set up to be paid online.

When I informed TSI of these arrangements, they told me that we were still obligated to pay them and that the university was wrong, and that legal action would be taken against us in four to five days.

We have the matter resolved with the original creditor, and the collection agency can take their threats and "buffalo-style" collection practices and stick em where the sun don't shine.

Comments

Palm Desert, California, United States #899747

I have had seven sugeries for cancer in the last year and have had my doctor fill out medical forms for the EDU that they requested saying that l would either loose my limb or never have the use of it again. EDU still turns my file over to a collection agency that calls and harrasses me and threatens to take leagld action.

Transworld systems call me, 8:05am...

The person on the other end of the phone has a foreign accent. The connection must be from a 3rd world country through an internet telephone setup. This screams cheap.

Cant understand the girl talking, its like every 3rd word is garbled. They ask questions, I dont know who they are, I tell them "what is the nature of this call"...then she says "I am going to transfer you to an agent-this call may be monitored"...

Some guy gets on the line...sounds american. I ask where are you calling from...the guy said someplace in Indiana. Funny how my caller ID shows "unknown caller" and a local phone number with my area code.

Fact is, they just broke the law. They hacked the caller ID. They gave me the name of some other person, and then, they gave me his address when they asked if I lived there. Its a local!!

I got a hold of the guy. I gave him my information and the info about the call. He went wild, really pissed that Transworld Systems would make collection calls to strangers, and give his name and address out like that.

I received a letter from Transworld Systems Inc. myself today for an insurance debt that THEY were supposed to bill to a secondary source.

The envelope says "TRANSMITTAL" on the front and very much looks like junk mail. I almost threw it away, but I'm glad I opened it. Also, it says you have 30 days to dispute it. The letter was written on the 4th, and I received it the 11th.

The city it came from is two hours away. Nice.

I just received a letter from TSI, saying they represented my health insurer and I needed to repay $9,084 that was sent to me. problem is, I endorsed the check and sent it to the medical provider, which is what I was supposed to do.

The provider's billing company confirms that the money was indeed sent to them and deposited.

Problem is I can't get through to the insurer, due to this past long weekend, to find out why they want it back from me and not the provider. Of course, no phone number for TSI either.

These people are fly by night *** artist. somehow they find people you owe and then they try to collect from you.

I told them who ever was collecting from me needed to sue me because I wasn't paying them or TSI. (The name should tell you something~~~~ T-R-A-N-S-W-O-R-L-D! DON'T TRUST ANYONE ON THE PHONE, GET YOUR NAME OFF ALL BILL PAYMENTS ON THE COMPUTER AND DEFINITELY DON'T GIVE YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT INFO TO ANYONE. I was hacked and lost alot of money.

The foreigners are taking over our country....close the borders......send them all back home. They don't give a S**t about you........

I am furious that the YMCA refered me to a collection agency, Transworld. I had no idea that I owed them any membership dues. I certainly wasn't intending to withhold dues from them.

I will see if I can approach the YMCA myself, see if it's true from them and not from Transworld that I owe this money. If that is true, I will pay YMCA and ask them to tell Transworld that they themselves have been paid and to Transworld nicely to go away and leave me in peace.

I am almost ready to cancel my membership with the YMCA as I do not take well to this kind of adversarial relationship involving unwanted 3rd parties like collection agencies.

Well, they got their payment because I dont want to put up with the BS. I blame the company that turned me over.

They burned my daughtes chin putting sealants on her teeth and promptly said..."it just itches a little" and billed me outrageously when I specifically said I wanted to know the portion my insurance pays so as to NOT have a outstanding bill. Of course I quit going there but not til they got 800 out of pocket from me.

I work at Transworld, very sorry if that collector was rude. Just like any business, some employees don't represent the company well. If I can clarify anything about our system/FDCPA i'd be glad to.

Again, sorry and have a great day!

Michael Tarrant (901-326-5178)

to Michael Tarrant Fort Myers, Florida, United States #618156

If you work for Transworld and payed the $150.00 to be an independennt contractor and receive a 1099 form for taxes how are you or any "collectors" who work for them emplyees?

to Michael Tarrant #1367119

Oh come on. You are totally a fake employee trying to scam more people by having them call you and tell them to tell you the problem and how you can easily eradicate this debt by one more simple payment.

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THIS SCAM ARTIST PEOPLE! THIS IS TEXTBOOK *** RIGHT HERE!!!

The first step with any debt is to maintain contact with the creditor. If you are having financial challenges; unemployment medical issues etc, let your creditor know that and set up a plan. The absolute worst thing to do is to ignore a creditor.

Step is to negotiate. Let the creditor know what you can pay and when you can pay. You can also negotiate the debt down to far less than what is owed.

That said, you will still run into uncooperative creditors or those who simply think that you are holding out and will be forceful with you. They will say things like; "There is no negotiation on th is." FACT: The more they collect the higher their commission and/or the better they look within their company. When you are dealing with collection agencies, they are especially high pressure and manipulative if not downright rude and usually come within an inch of breaking the law.

Your strategy? You simply tell them that this is all you can pay. Take it or leave it. Start with .10 cents on the dollar for the debt and let them know if that is not acceptable that you will simply discharge it via bankruptcy. If they want to play rought. You play rough. You will be surprised on how quickly they change their attitude.

Some will to continue to bark at you and insist that nothing but the complete payment will due. In this case use these words; "Let me speak to you supervisor." If that doesn't work, contact the company directly (if you are being hassled by collection agencies or the owner if it is inside collector working for a company) Let them know that you offered a settlement that was refused by their collectors. Now you can actually get these clowns fighting with each other.

Don't be afraid to report them to the local BBB, FTC and FCC.

And do n't let them scare you by saying "Filing bankruyptcy will ruin your credit for 10 years!" Guess what? They are already ruining your credit by reporting you to the credit bureaus and ruining your life with their incessant calls, day and night. By the way, bankruptcy can be legally removed from your credit report and doesn't necessarily stay on for 10 years.

Don't forget to use secured loans and secured credit cards to rebuild your credit AND dispute any and all negative remarks on your credit reports if necessary. Also be sure to write your side of the story on your report. The secured loans and cards in addition to helping you rebuild your credit really ticks off collectors, The whole point of reporting you to the credit bureaus is to ruin your credit and put you in a weak settlement position. Another point, 2-3 or more positive items on your credit report puts you in a stronger negotiating position with creditors and collections agencies.

Bottom line, be honest and use integrity with your creditors BUT never let them bully you.

WOW! If you are a company that publically states that all debtors are liars, you are pitiful!

I know collection agencies that have little bad marks against them.

Transworld is not one of them. And TOO, you need an attitude check...

twc actually expects me to pay a bill i\'ve never recieved and have no details concerning the charge per \"hepa\" laws. That is bogus!

juliedoc

The woman on the phone today told me they will not take a check and got very upset that I wanted to send one. She wanted me to give them my bank account # so they could take it out automatically. Since she was so rude and offensive, I don't trust her.

Dear Unprofessional, Aggressive, Rude Debt Collectors of America,

The Good People of America who've been so negatively and horribly affected by the recent economy do hereby demand your respect and understanding!

You are prohibited from speaking to people in disrespectful tones, insinuating they're liars and irresponsible losers!

You are expected to understand that what's happened to these people is due to circumstances beyond their control!

You are expected to realize that by being rude and nonchalant about their current dire financial situation only makes them want to pay you last (when they finally do have the money after selling everything but the kids, working extra hours and taking on a second job).

You are expected to know the difference between REFUSAL to pay and the IN.A.BIL.I.TY to pay. There is a marked difference between the two!

Do you honestly think that by making people cry you'll get payment in return? Nosiree. You have been moved to the BOTTOM of the list.

Your phone calls will NOT be answered! Don't even think people will answer the phone after being harshly raked over the coals by you!

Do you not realize that the economy has caused the financial death of good people? Good people who have dealt with a recession budget so horrible that they struggle to feed their children?

Do you honestly think that they'll pay you before they feed their kids, pay their mortgage and pay their utilities? If so, you have your head so far up your *** you can't see the light of day. Get real and shut up! The good Americans in this position don't care that their credit report will be affected. All they care about is providing the bare-bones basics for their families right now.

Get over yourselves. Pray really hard that you're not the struggling American on the receiving end of one of your phone calls the next time the economy tanks.

Sincerely,

The Good People of America

Disclaimer: this opinionated article is geared toward the minority of unprofessional, aggressive, rude credit card debt collectors who believe that they have to be abusive, disrespectful idiots to collect a debt.

:grin :eek

Threatening legal action is not a violation of the FDCPA if the company intends to go through with it. It is ONLY a violation to threaten action without any intent to actually pursue it.

does anyone have a phone number to call?

your all a bunch of idiots.... pay your *** bills and you won't have to worry about it at all

TO ANSWER ANOTHER QUESTION, PEOPLE KILL ME STATING THEIR OPINIONS THAT ARE OBVIOUSLY BASED ON NOTHING. PHASE 1 (WRITTEN DEMANDS) CREDITORS HAVE ALL CONTROL.

IT IS ONLY THEIR CONTACT INFO ON THE DEMANDS. CREDITOR MAKES ALL ARRANGEMENTS FOR PAYMENT. PERIOD. NOT TRANSWORLD.

IF THE DEBTOR DOESN'T RESPOND AND CREDITOR CHOOSES TO SEND IT TO PHASE 2 (PHONE CALLS) THEN CREDITOR LOSES ALL CONTROL. NOW DEBTOR HAS TO DEAL WITH TRANSWORLD. THEY HAD THEIR CHANCE TO DEAL WITH CREDITOR ALREADY AND CHOSE NOT TO. THAT IS A SERVICE TO THE CREDITOR.

ALLOWS THEM TO CONTROL ARRANGEMENTS IF ANY WHILE IT IS IN PHASE 1. THAT IS WHY THERE IS NO CONTACT INFO FOR TRANSWORLD ON THE LETTERS. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CONTACT THE CREDITOR. IT IS A SERVICE FOR THE CREDITOR TO HAVE CONTROL.

PERIOD. AND ALSO SINCE TRANSWORLD DOESN'T ACCEPT THE MONEY IN PHASE 1 IT GOES FROM THE DEBTOR TO THE CREDITOR, IF PAYMENT IS MADE THE CREDITOR IS RESPONSIBLE FOR UPDATING PAYMENTS WITH TRANSWORLD. TRANSWORLD DOESN'T READ MINDS, JUST GOES AFTER MONEY THE CREDITOR IS STILL CLAIMING VALID. PAY YOUR BILLS.

IF YOU CAN'T BE AN ADULT AND CONTACT THE CREDITOR TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS INSTEAD OF DODGING CALLS AND IGNORING THEM SO THEY HAVE TO TURN YOU OVER. DON'T PLAY THE VICTIM. IT'S YOUR FAULT YOU GOT TURNED OVER. PEOPLE DON'T LIKE WORKING FOR FREE.

I'M SURE YOU WOULD BE UPSET IF YOUR BOSS LET YOU WORK AND DIDN'T PAY YOU. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE. I'M NOT SAYING PEOPLE DON'T HAVE HARD TIMES, BUT IF YOU ARE CAPABLE OF GOING TO HAVE SOMEONE RENDER YOU A SERVICE, THEN YOU SHOULD BE CAPABLE ENOUGH AND RESPECT THEIR SERVICE ENOUGH TO CONTACT THEM AND NOT MAKE THEM WONDER IF YOU HAVE NO INTENTIONS ON PAYING THEM. WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO, WRITE EVERY ONE OFF.

THAT WOULD BE A VERY GOOD BUSINESS PLAN. IF YOU CHOOSE TO NOT PAY MAKE SURE YOU ARE AT A NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION, NOT SOMEWHERE SOMEONE IS WORKING TO FEED THEIR FAMILIES. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE SOMEONE TO TAKE FOOD OUT OF YOUR CHILDS MOUTH. EVERY ONE STOP PLAYING THE VICTIM.

GET SOME RESPONSIBILITY AND KEEP CONTACT WITH PEOPLE YOU ALREADY KNOW YOU OWE MONEY TO SO YOU DON'T GET TURNED OVER. YOU CAN ONLY BLAME YOURSELF. IT ONLY TAKES COMMUNICATION. DO YOU REALLY THINK CREDITORS WOULD RATHER PAY SOMEONE TO COLLECT THEIR MONEY IF THEY COULD MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH YOU AND KEEP ALL OF THEIR PROFITS.

VERY FEW CREDITORS TURN OVER ACCOUNTS UNTIL THEY HAVE TRIED TO CONTACT YOU FOR 60 DAYS. NO MATTER WHAT YOU CAN'T TELL ME YOU COULDN'T CONTACT THEM IN ANY WAY JUST ONCE IN 60 DAYS! BOTTOM LINE, IT CAN BE AVOIDED BY JUST RESPECTING YOUR CREDITOR.

IF YOU CAN'T RESPECT THEM AFTER YOU MADE THEM WORK FOR FREE, WHO ARE YOU TO DEMAND RESPECT? TALK ABOUT HYPOCRITICAL!